Act Your Age
The action takes place in a clinic run by Valerie, that offers sanctuary and therapy to celebrities. Its popularity is on the decline, with only two patients remaining and minimal staff. The two remaining patients are Melanie, who would love to be an ‘A’ list celebrity, and the middle aged nymphomaniac Angela who attends the clinic in the hopes of her being weaned off men.
Suddenly a chance for salvation is seen when Victoria’s agent telephones to say she will be arriving very shortly, will be checking in as Mrs Smith and will bring friends. Crisis looms with no staff and few patients!! Nearby there is an old people’s home which, due to an incompetent workman, has been left without electricity or water. As a temporary measure, the old folk are moved in to the clinic in the care of Valerie.
In order to give the impression of a successful business, Valerie persuades the old folk to help out as staff and guests. A succession of rather furtive people arrive to check in as patients. They are all assumed to be friends of Victoria’s and are treated with due reverence. In fact, each hides a different secret of their own.
The story unfolds through a very funny script, great songs and music and some great farce action. Characters creep about searching for some people and hiding from others, some of whom are only wearing a strategically placed towel, all of which makes for some hilarious moments. Then, to put the icing on the cake as it were, a jewel thief arrives with some stolen diamond studded underwear – still being worn by the mannequin.
It turns out that Iris from the old folk’s home isn’t as gaga as she has been making out and has been using the old people’s home as a cover for her jewellery fencing business. Eventually, everything comes to a head in the finale when all happy endings and plot resolutions come thick and fast!!!
- Act Your Age: Enid Doyle — Next up, Enid What character do you play in Act Your Age?Pat What’s your character like?My character is a jack of all trades Are you similar to your character?I suppose I am similar in a way in as much as I like “tinkering about” What’s your favourite line in the show?I don’t really have a [...]
- Act Your Age: Anne Lindop — Anne now takes a turn answering questions 1. What character do you play in Act Your Age?Valerie, owner of a Celebrity clinic 2. What’s your character like?Business woman, trying to get it right 3. Are you similar to your character?Don’t think so! 4. What’s your favourite line in the show?‘Yeah, life’s a bitch and then [...]
- Act Your Age: Maureen Savag... — It’s Maureen’s turn for a grilling What character do you play in Act Your Age?Angela, an ageing nymphomaniac What’s your character like?Man mad of course, thinks she is sophisticated, attitude can by quite cutting Are you similar to your character?ABSOLUTELY NOT, although some of my fellow luvvies seem to think I was made for the [...]
- Act Your Age: Mike Earle — It’s Mike Earle’s turn to be grilled What character do you play in Act Your Age?Mario What’s your character like?The Italian Lothario – flambouyant and full of himself! Are you similar to your character?No – I’m completely cast against type this time! (?) What’s your favourite line in the show?“Aren’t we doing it right (being [...]
- Act Your Age: Beth Wright — Beth Wright is our next cast member to be put under the spotlight What character do you play in Act Your Age?Betty What’s your character like?Once a servant in stately homes she is mistaken for an ageing courtesan. Are you similar to your character?I’ve never been mistaken for a courtesan, so that would be a [...]