The People’s Anthem 2014
‘The People’s Anthem’ Challenge 2014… What is it All About?
A Message from Rebecca Newman – the inspiration behind the project:
I decided to set up this project after winning a global music competition in February 2014, receiving a $10,000 cash prize. Apart from putting the winnings towards the marketing for my forthcoming album release, I also wanted to do something that could involve and benefit as many other people as possible.
After an intial period of setting up the project by contacting hundreds of choirs, groups and schools, I had only three weeks to complete the recordings! I visited 14 locations and recorded over 1,000 people to create a new version of my new sporting anthem ‘Heroes to the World’. I thought it would be a perfect song to celebrate the biggest sporting event our region has seen. The song is a lead track on my new album, Dare to Dream, due out in September, but right now it is MY dream that over a thousand ordinary people can lay claim to a chart single, something usually only reserved for a minority of people in the music business.
The song release is designed to welcome the Tour de France to Yorkshire in July 2014, whilst shining the spotlight on some of the fantastic people we have in our community. The song is chart registered and, with a little bit of teamwork, we could achieve official UK chart status. The single will also be raising money for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance. Find out more below or join the Facebook group.
I’m very excited to see how this all progresses and I hope to meet lots of fantastic people on my travels around the county.
- Carols at Wetherby Races 20... — Once again members of WMTG enjoyed a great day at the races – singing carols for all the attendees and raising money for their next show – “They call it murder” to be performed in spring 2017 and the charity – “Riding for the [...]
- Love Learning in Wetherby — Come and find out about WMTG at this event on 10th September 10am ’til 4pm Wetherby High [...]
- Wetherby Food Festival — The event took place over the weekend 10th – 12th July 2015 and was staged at the Ings in Wetherby with over 100 stalls taking part. The event included live music on 2 stages, children’s entertainment, fair ground rides, beer tents, food & drink tasting and cooking demonstrations. It was a real community event with over [...]
- Dickensian Market 2014 — A letter from The Wetherby Lions On behalf of Lion President Stewart and myself thank you for attending our ‘Lions Dickensian Christmas Farmers’ Market’ event on Sunday and for your donation to the Club for the stall. It was an excellent day with plenty of footfall so I do hope that your trading went well [...]
- WMTG At The Races — Wetherby stage their ‘Christmas Carol’ meeting on Saturday. This is my favourite race day at the course and combines great racing with a lovely festive atmosphere. The Christmas lights at the racecourse will be switched on, musical entertainment is provided and the Wetherby Musical Theatre Group will be singing carols. There is even an appearance [...]